Sunday 17 April 2011

A Beautiful Farewell...

We had Nana Dot's funeral today.  It was just lovely.  A really great send off.

This morning when Tony and co arrived we decided to write a speech for one of us to say at the funeral about what Nana Dot had been to us.  As soon as that was done we were all into our cars to go to the funeral which was held at the Oparau Hall.  It was decided that I would be the one to do the speech - eeek!  I am normally a wreck when it comes to public speaking but on this occassion I decided that hopefully I would be able to do it.  Lilli was a blast!  She was running around with all the cousins' kids outside and generally making herself known to everyone - as she does.  She's so funny.  Then when the funeral started she sat down with Toot, Annie and the boys for practically the whole time.  She got up and walked around a little bit but she was really well behaved.  I was so proud of her.

I managed to get up there in front of everyone (there were 500 or more people there!) and do our speech and even got a couple of laughs from everyone.  Lilli was interupting me all the time and wanting cuddles but between Brian and I we keep her busy until I finished speaking.  It was really great and I was very proud of myself .  The boys were stoked and said that I had done a great job too.

It was a sad occasion but also nice to catch up with all the family.  Very sad to be pregnant with a baby and know that Nana will never meet it and to see two of my cousins pregnant too and of course my cousin Darryl's partner Pavla.  Four new great grandchildren that are coming and Nana couldn't quite wait around to see them.

Max and stayed for a couple of hours after the funeral and then popped Lilli in the car and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment